The U.S. Marine Hospital compound, which is now owned partially by the City of Memphis and partially by DeSoto Pointe Partners, was founded in the late 1800’s. Two of the original buildings (executive headquarters and nurses’ quarters) remain today and are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The executive headquarters has been recently renovated as the library for the National Ornamental Metal Museum.
The Nurses’ Quarters building on the DeSoto Pointe Partners’ property is in deteriorating condition and needs renovation in the near future.
The remaining red brick buildings from the Marine Hospital compound were built in the 1930’s. One of them serves as the main museum building for the National Ornamental Metal Museum and another is used as a residence for museum apprentices and visiting metal artists.
The main hospital building was purchased by DeSoto Pointe Partners in 2003 with the intention of converting it into luxury condominiums. Due to the economy, these plans did not come to fruition. This 3-story Georgian style building was built with the finest quality materials and workmanship of its time. With a slate roof, copper cupola, limestone and brick detailing, it is one of the most architecturally significant buildings in the City of Memphis.
The building contains hazardous materials and is an unsafe environment. It is currently in a deteriorating condition and needs renovation in the coming years. This historically significant building is important to the community and the City of Memphis. It is proposed to be the catalyst for the entire French Fort Redevelopment Plan.